If you have kids and are living in the Sunshine State, Kendall, Miami or anywhere with swimming pools, the most important thing that should be on your mind is safety. Pay attention to these 7 Life-Saving Tips to Remember when around children at a poolside. Any of these can potentially save someone’s life.
While most of us enjoy quality time in the pool with the kids and family, the sad news is that every year, nearly one thousand kids drown in residential swimming pools.
Drowning is the second leading cause of death among kids ages 5 through 24 and in sunbelt states like Florida, it is the number one cause of death among children five and under.
1) Be aware: Never leave children unattended in or around a pool. Always designate an adult to watch the children in the water.
3) Establish and enforce pool rules. Teach your children basic safety rules such as no one swims alone, stay away from drains, no running, and no diving (if appropriate).
4) Install a four-foot or taller fence around your pool and use self-closing and self-latching gates. The latches should be out of the reach of young children. If your house is the fourth side of a barrier, secure doors with alarms that prevent children from wandering into the pool area.
5) Take extra precautions with above ground or inflatable pools. Remove access ladders whenever the pool is not in use and make sure that it is securely in place when it is in use.
6) Be prepared for emergencies. Keep an inflatable, a first-aid kit and a cell phone near the pool in the event of an emergency. Know CPR.
At Village Spa & Pools we are committed to keeping our neighbors safe while enjoying the quality time at the pool. Situations at the pool can take a quick turn for the worst in a second and most of the time they can be avoided. Our intentions are to help you remember these 7 Life-Saving Swimming Pool Safety Tips next time you are at a family gathering.